Like a Hoover only useless

suck 010

This should be under the Merriam-Webster’s definition of “suck”.

I have been working on this pair of socks for…ages, since way before last Christmas. But they are just a pair for myself so I was in no great hurry, just working on them here and there as I have a few minutes.

The yarn is one of the normal mass-production yarns…Patons I think. I have the label but I am too lazy to go hunt it down. Anyway, I had two balls of it, one for each sock. Now when I made the first sock, I ended up pretty much havingĀ  just enough to finish it (and I was sweating it there at the end), but I did finish it. So I don’t know where I went wrong. Maybe my beginning tail was longer or over all those months my gauge loosened up or I finished the other during a waning moon instead of a waxing or there is a small discrepancy from one ball to the next. All I know is I felt like crying when it became apparent that it just wasn’t going to make it. Sure, it’s not that big of a deal, if I really tried I could have it redone a couple days, but I was sooo ready to have them done…even though it is now June and just the thought of wearing wool socks makes me want to chew my feet off, it just would have been nice to have a project completed, haven’t had a whole lot of those lately.

The offending sock has now been frogged and recasted-on (is that English?). I decided I would give it one more try and if I still come up short I will just…set fire to it. Sounds like a reasonable plan to me.

9 Comments

• June 2, 2009 - 8:36 pm | Permalink

awww…I am so sorry you had sock problems. I LOVE mine so much, I hope it works out! But dont beat yourself up. You finish plenty of things!

• June 3, 2009 - 8:16 am | Permalink

Nice blog! I went to school with your husband and he gave me your blog address. Anyway, I just wanted to say that you have awesome photos! What kind of camera are you using? I’m still trying to learn how to use mine and get the lighting right, etc…

• gesikah
    June 3, 2009 - 9:03 am | Permalink

Awww, thank you! Jason was just telling me about speaking with you. I actually just got done visiting your site. :)

My camera is a Canon EOS Digital Rebel Xti 400D, the lens I usually have on there is the Canon 50mm f/1.8. I had been wanting a DSLR for ages and finally got one last year and have not been disappointed at all, although I am still very much in the learning stage.

Thanks so much for stopping by!

• Michelle
    June 3, 2009 - 9:29 pm | Permalink

Jessica, you are so talented I could puke! For real….. ha ha. Knitting is something I would love to do, but I am not coordinated enough for!

• gesikah
      June 3, 2009 - 9:45 pm | Permalink

Nonsense, if I can do it without putting any eyes out (mine or someone else’s), then anyone can.

Ok, so I had one knitting-related emergency room visit, but that was years ago! ;)

• June 3, 2009 - 10:18 pm | Permalink

HAHAHA! Jess you crack me up. The injury wasnt nearly as bad as the tetanus booster, was it?

• gesikah
      June 4, 2009 - 8:51 am | Permalink

God no, the foot I was able to walk on the next day, no problem. Couldn’t lift anything with my left arm for a week. ;)

• susie
    June 14, 2009 - 1:24 pm | Permalink

You can always use the one sock for a Christmas Stocking if the new one doesn’t work out:)

• gesikah